Thanks to Standard Oil (later known as Amoco, and later known as BP), Wood River, Illinois has 23 pretty little Sears Homes lined up on 9th Street (near downtown). Standard Oil moved into Wood River in 1908, and in 1918, Standard Oil decided to build houses for their workers. In the early years of the 20th Century, this was common practice among the better businesses of the time.
To learn more about the history of Standard Oil and Sears Homes, click here.
To see pretty pictures of Sears Homes in Wood River (then and now), scroll down.
Vintage photo from the 1920 Stanolind Record showing the newly built Sears Homes in Wood River. The first house is the Sears Roanoke, followed by the Whitehall, and then the Gladstone, and then the Madelia, and then the Carlin. The Stanolind Record was an employee newsletter of Standard Oil.
Sears Homes in Wood River, as seen in February 2010.
This Sears Whitehall is in pretty good condition, and still looks much like the original catalog paage. This is on 9th Street in Wood River.
The Langston was also known as the Gladstone. There's virtually no difference between the Sears Gladstone and the Langston.
Here's the Gladstone/Langston as seen in 2010. That center downspout is a little funky looking.
The Sears Roanoke
This Sears Roanoke is missing its wooden awning over the 2nd floor windows, but after 90 years, that's a common problem.
Sears Carlin from the 1919 Sears Modern Homes catalog.
One of several Sears Carlins on 9th Street in Wood River
Sears Elsmore as seen in the 1923 catalog
An Elsmore in Wood River. Rather beige, but that's ok.
Fullerton from the 1925 catalog
There's only one Fullerton in Wood River, and it's pink! 🙂
Standard Oil's Sears Homes in Wood River
Sears Homes on 9th Street in Wood River, Illinois
Rear cover of 1925 Sears Modern Homes catalog
- Close up of letter from Standard Oil
To learn more about the Sears Homes in Carlinville, click here.
To buy Rose’s book, click here.
* * *